Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How Many Oil Plumes are in the Gulf? - The U.S. Government Challenge (ask them with me) Updating

6/9 6:35pm CT - Further updates are made in "Comments" to this article.

6/9
1022am CT - I just got off the phone with Lt. Budaio of the Deepwater Horizon Unified Command. He stated that the U.S. Geological Survey had confirmed that there are numerous oil plumes off the coast of Texas, also Florida. These have been investigated and they are identified as naturally occurring. One of them is quite large, three feet in diameter.

These fissures tend to increase after earthquakes, explained the Lieutenant. There may be as many as twenty or thirty plumes of oil, of various sizes, but none are approaching the volume of the Deepwater Horizon disaster's gusher.

Asked if this number of fissures is unusual, he said it was not.

At the Deepwater site: Lt. Budaio stated that he knows of no significant oil leaks outside the one barrel-shaped leaking pipe joint, which has been partially capped. This is the one in the videos.

My name, telephone number, and email address have been given to BP by Lt. Budaio, with the request that they reply immediately, to confirm information about the leaks. He would not give a separate number for BP and did not pass me through at that moment, telling me there was a change-over of personnel at the time.

If I do not get an immediate response from BP, which, frankly, I do not expect, I will try to contact them, through the telephone number I last listed in this article's comments. I will be available to do this only sporadically though the middle of the day, but intend to pursue and to ask other questions when and if I speak with a representative of British Petroleum plc.

6/9 am -
See comments to this post, for progress. Please call too, but I have posted better telephone numbers in the comments.

6/8 - Tomorrow morning, Wednesday, June 9th, I intend to ask the U.S. federal government this question:

How many oil plumes are there in the Gulf of Mexico - how many leaks?
I ask you to do the same. I will report my results. Please report yours, in the comments to this post. This is not about how many plumes that private sources have found. It is about how many leaks does the United States government know exist. They have had since April 20, to discover this. They should be able to tell us, should they not? And if they can tell us that, perhaps they can give us their coordinates on the globe. How close or far are they, from each other? And if they can tell us that, perhaps they can tell us what they are coordinating, to stop them. Right?

Here is the contact information for the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
Ariel Rios Building, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20460
Telephone (202) 272-0167 - TTY (speech- and hearing-impaired) (202) 272-0165
Here is contact information for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA):
500 C Street S.W., Washington, D.C. 20472
FEMA Office of External Affairs202-646-4600
FEMA Newsdesk202-646-3272 E-mail: (FEMA-News-Desk@dhs.gov)
Here is the contact information for the FEMA National Incident Management System (NIMS):
Questions regarding NIMS should be directed to
FEMA-NIMS@dhs.gov or 202-646-3850.
The first one to report the answer gets the Official I.O. Kudos.


Lisa Perez Jackson, Administrator EPA; Janet Napolitano, Secretary DHS; William Craig Fugate, FEMA Administrator

Related:
  1. "Have You Seen This Man? - The Hunt for William Craig Fugate" (FEMA Administrator) - 6/1/2010
  2. "RICO Investigation Needed NOW About Gulf, Energy & CCX"
  3. I.O. tag: "Gulf Gusher"
  4. EPA page, "Learn what Lisa's up do"
H/T: HK, CJ, JoAnne Moretti

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes,we need some answers.Oil globs/plumes and other fisuures and blowouts on the seabed being reported in the alternative media.Here is that video by Todd : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4797172096740150104#

Arlen Williams said...

Dialing the EPA now: 202-272-0165. How many oil plumes/leaks are there in the Gulf of Mexico? Employee didn't know, gave me another number to call.
...
Given better phone number: media line 985-902-5231 That give me "Unified Command." A recording suggests we go to DeepWaterHorizonResponse.com.

Will look at that site and call again, because I did not reach a human being.

Arlen Williams said...

I just got off the phone with Lt. Budaio with the Unified Command. He stated that the U.S. Geological Survey had confirmed that there are numerous oil plumes off the coast of Texas, also Florida. These have been investigated and they are identified as naturally occurring. One of them is quite large, three feet in diameter.

These fissures tend to increase after earthquakes, explained the Lieutenant. There may be as many as twenty or thirty plumes of oil, of various sizes, but none are approaching the size of the Deepwater Horizon disaster's oil flow.

Asked if this number of fissures is unusual, he said it was not.

At the Deepwater site: Lt. Budaio stated that he knows of no significant oil leads outside the one barrel-shaped leak which has been partially capped. This is the one in the videos.

My name, telephone number, and email address have been given to BP by Lt. Budaio, with the request that they reply immediately, to confirm information about the leaks. He would not give a separate number for BP and did not pass me through at that moment, telling me there was a change-over of personnel at the time.

If I do not get an immediate response from BP, which, frankly, I do not expect, I will try to contact them, through the telephone number I last listed. I will be available to do this only sporadically though the middle of the day.

Arlen Williams said...

I have received no communications by email or telephone message, from BP or Unified Command.

I called again and left questions with "Mary":

1. Can you confirm the number of significant oil leakage points at the Deepwater Horizon site?

2. Who originally decided to use Corexit and subsequently, was that decision confirmed by the EPA and the White House?

3. Why have other measures not been used, to deploy massive efforts at suctioning or absorbing the oil flow, as have been successful in other recent, massive oil leaks or spills?

4. Are they going to issue a detailed report of what decisions and actions have been made along the way, in this crisis, who made them, when, why, and how such actions resulted?

I gave my telephone number and email address. I explained to Mary that there are many rumors and concerns being expressed on the Internet about these matters, that I write for Canada Free Press and RenewAmerica.com and can help to set the record straight.

If I do not receive a reply within approximately one hour, I intend to pursue someone who can answer these questions during the next phone call.

Arlen Williams said...

Pursuing the matter of their selection of Nalco Corexit, I mean to also ask:

2.a. Are you using Corexit EC9500A, or EC9527A, or another version and if so, which?

2.b. The EPA chart, National Contingency Plan Product Schedule Toxicity and Effectiveness Summaries; Dispersants lists numerous chemicals, including but not necessarily limited to JD-109, JD-2000, and ZI-400, which according to EPA testing are both less toxic and more effective in Gulf of Mexico waters, than the Nalco Corexit products listed. Why were these other, apparently better products not used?

Arlen Williams said...

Note: also SEACARE ECOSPERSE 52 comes out ahead, on this table.

Arlen Williams said...

Just finished a half-hour Q&A conversation with Mark P. of British Petroleum plc, an American, ostensibly, who is participating in a press relations role, for Unified Command. I will be assembling the information from this conversation in an article and intend to submit that to the aforementioned venues; perhaps others; of course, here.

The conversation focused almost entirely upon emergency response operations. That is what he was authorized to address.

It was not recorded, so it won't be structured in interview mode, but significant notes were taken and facts and figures recorded.

Now, it's back to the realities of juggling tasks, plus the pesky need for sleep, food, etc.

Before I publish the report, I suggest you go to the official Web site listed above, also BP's Web site on their recovery operations.

Arlen Williams said...

Deadline? I don't know, but I will address this conversation tomorrow night on "The Awakening," over Sentinel Radio's blogtalkradio page and linked and probably widgeted in I.O.

That program is 10pm-M ET immediately after Walter's hour with "Fightin' Words" (9-10pm ET).

I anticipate releasing the article within hours, after the broadcast.

Arlen Williams said...

(And yes, it will be worth listening to, I am confident to say.)

Arlen Williams said...

For anyone tracking this, I'll be very busy this weekend, but hope to get that article out.